Friday, February 3, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Husband Tested

I'm addicted to Pintrest.

The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. I'm just not sure I want to recover from this problem.

For the last three or four months, I've spent a few hours a week combing through Pinterest to find ideas for new recipes, 101 ways to use shutters, 50,000 ideas for a photo wall and some great fashion concepts. Two weeks ago, I realized that it's pretty stupid to spend all of that time 'pinning' if I'm not actually going to do any of it. So, I started cooking and the results are below. I should also note that some of these came from my favorite blogs but I had pinned the recipes so that I could find them later.

Pear Cranberry Gingersnap Crumble: I had such high hope for this recipe. Unfortunately, I wasn't very impressed. It was very tart and not one I'd make again.

Granola Bars:  These turned out to be a crumbly mess. There was no way these were going to form into a bar and stay that way. I mixed in coconut, cherries and chocolate chips. I makes great topping for yogurt.

Crock-pot Chicken Enchilada Soup: This dish is AMAZING. I've made it twice. If I could get away with it, I would make it weekly, but we aren't that type of household. I used extra chipotle because we like heat. For toppings we included sour cream, cheese, cilantro, green onion and avocado. We made it for company both times; the people who don't like spice just added extra sour cream and cheese. It was delish. 

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Muffins: These were a disaster. I baked them twice as long as recommended and yet they were wet, sticky and mushy. I threw out the entire batch. Skip this one.

Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash and Quinoa: I love butternut squash and I love quinoa, so this was an easy choice. Again, we made it for company (kind of risky for the first time). It was amazing and everyone had seconds. I doubled the batch and froze some. Hopefully, it's as good on round two as it was on round one. 

Lettuce Wraps: I made this with ground turkey instead of beef and added bean sprouts to give it a little more texture and sneak in a little more veggies. It was amazing. I used a little more turkey than it called for, which was great on a salad the next day. I served a Thai cucumber salad with it (it's super easy to make too). It only took me about 30 minutes to make the entire meal and it was all stuff that I already had. Great weekday dinner.

Pad Thai: I'm not really sure if I should count this one. I used the recipe as a guide but sort of went off on my own. It's ok though - it turned out awesome. I combined carrots, celery, bok choy, cilantro, bean sprouts, tofu and shrimp. It was fab. 

Carmelitas: Amazing. I used gluten-free flour mix and it turned out great. Next time I'm going to add pecans and coconut. Warning: you'll want to eat the whole pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment