Monday, February 6, 2012

Flour Power

In my last post, Pinterest Tested, Husband Approved, I mentioned that I modified a couple of recipes by using gluten-free flour. Well, I figured I should share my flour "recipe" if I was going to keep referring to it. I've modified a recipe from, Gluten-Free Baking Classics. This book is a must-have for anyone that is trying to bake in a gluten-free world.

Most of Roberts' recipes us a brown rice flour mix:
2 cups brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour

I mix up a big batch and store it in an air-tight container. Then I don't have to pull all three ingredients out every time I need "flour."

I noticed that in a lot of her recipes and other gluten-free recipes, they also call for xanthan gum. It helps keep everything together. I've started just mixing some into my flour mix. For the batch described above, I add about 2 1/2 teaspoons of xanthan to the mix. You should know, I'm not a precision baker so this method works out ok for me. If you like to be precise, you should probably follow the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment